Up the hill on Palisade Ave., Holy Trinity Slovak Evangelical Lutheran Church graces the Garfield skyline. The congregation was organized in 1892, and the current gothic structure was dedicated in 1926, but unsurprisingly, the demographics of the community have changed in the decades since, and sometime during the 1990s the church discontinued its Slovak service. Newer members of the community are much more likely to speak Spanish as a first language or, in the case of the fellows chatting on the sunny corner down the hill, Polish. Among the wares inside Krystyna: a poppy seed roll much like this one.
63 Belmont Ave. (at Palisade Ave.), Garfield, New Jersey