This painted sign was uncovered in 2010 during construction of a "progressive American" restaurant called Commonwealth. Though the typefaces and street lamps suggest an early 20th century birthdate, the folks at Hunt's may have been nodding to the past when they commissioned this sign, just as did the folks at Commonwealth when they preserved it.
The donut shop opened in 1952, according to this atmospheric if rambling account of the Mission District at midcentury. The sign may have faced a parking lot then, as it does now; Hunt's itself stood at the corner of Mission and 20th.
Hunt's Quality Donuts
Surviving painted sign at 2224 Mission St. (18th-19th Sts.), San Francisco
(From an August 2011 visit)