Wonder Bread and Hostess Cakes were produced at this seven-building complex from 1936, when it was purchased by the Continental Baking Co., until sometime in the 1980s, when it fell into disuse. The terra cotta decoration in the pediment, which dates from the mid 1910s or early 1920s, is the most visible sign of the original tenant. It's been suggested that the name and logo of the White Cross Bakery were meant to address turn-of-the-century concerns about food sanitation.
Wonder Bread Factory
641 S St. N.W. (6th St. N.W.-Wiltberger St. N.W.), Washington D.C.