This recently uncovered signage marks a long-gone butcher shop — think of it as a child of the '50s. Karl Ehmer, who opened his first store in Manhattan, in 1932, relocated during WWII into what was then a thriving German-American neighborhood straddling Glendale and Ridgewood, Queens. In 1950, having outgrown that snug storefront, Ehmer moved a block east to the premises shown here; in 1958 he moved on to the much larger manufacturing plant, with an adjoining retail shop, on Fresh Pond Rd. That facility closed its doors, after a half-century, in 2010.
Karl Ehmer Pork Store
Surviving signage at 62-10 Myrtle Ave. (at 62nd St.), Glendale, Queens