In 1902, three Greek-American brothers by the name of Gallanis "launched into the manufacture and retailing of their now celebrated 'Temptation' chocolate" with a small retail shop. Gallanis Bros., as the company was simply known, added a wholesale line in 1912, then commissioned the construction of the factory and warehouse facility shown here, and completed in 1917.
A brief 1924 account in the U.S.-based, Greek-language newspaper Saloniki, later translated with W.P.A. funding, spoke to the growing success of Gallanis Bros. and Temptation Chocolates, yet the company apparently vanished from the public eye by the 1930s.
Surviving signage at 1929 South Halsted St. (West 19th Pl.-South Canalport Ave.), Chicago
(From a June 2016 visit)