In the 1870s, "Frederick Akers was proprietor of the oldest and best known trade roasting establishment in New York," according to the 1922 book All About Coffee, by William H. Ukers. "Mr. Akers died in 1901. The same year, William J. Morrison and Walter B. Boinest, former employees of Akers, formed a partnership to carry on the same kind of business at 413 Greenwich Street." Later a corporation under the name of Morrison & Boinest, it specialized in wholesale coffee roasting and spice grinding — as the signage still tells us — for some three decades.
The first photo shows the narrow Greenwich St. facade. The second, from around the corner on Hubert St., also shows better-preserved signage (at left) for Dayton Corsa, importers of "teas and coffees."
Morrison & Boinest
Surviving signage, 413 Greenwich St. (at Hubert St.), Manhattan